KarmaKonnect Donates 36 ‘Digitally-Aided Classrooms’ to Schools in Remote J&K
With rapid digitalisation of education across the Nation, last mile digital connectivity in remote areas becomes a must. At the same time, it becomes imperative for us to make children from rural, economically backward and remote regions familiar with computers and technology so that they can access digital learning.
KarmaKonnect aims to bridge the gap that exists between urban kids availing digital learning process and children from rural and remote regions who are deprived of such facilities due to multi-dimensional reason. We believe Digital learning needs to be integrated as an important part of their academic curriculum.
• Our Digital-Classroom program essentially aims at introducing E-learning or Digital learning intervention into remote rural areas, urban slums and conflict zones cut off from the mainstream.
• The programme aims at revolutionizing the learning experience through digital intervention – which would enhance the quality of the education imparted.
• The project involves the installation of digital classrooms in our study centers spread across such regions. We solicit and channelise laptops, desktops, CPUs, projectors and other devices to rural and remote areas for arranging digital classrooms that would benefit students deprived of quality education.
• With the help of local volunteers, school teachers and dedicated social workers we operate and maintain these digital classrooms. Students are exposed to interesting and thought-provoking digital content designed as per their academic curriculum.
• Audio Visual content and programmes are streamed with the help of projectors, speakers and screens to kindle imagination among students. Projectors are used for larger classroom outreach.
• The transition from chalkboard teaching to prompt, flexible online teaching will deal with all challenges such as unavailability of printed study materials, absence of regular schooling and lack of innovative learning facilities easily accessible to urban kids from well-off backgrounds.
Children from rural areas, urban slums and remote conflict prone regions face multi-dimensional challenges when it comes to accessing effective learning and continuing their education:
- Network Connectivity Challenges - Many of these regions are not connected with internet. Internet connectivity has not yet reached many villages and rural regions. Also, internet and network connectivity remains inaccessible in conflict prone areas and regions with harsh climatic conditions such as high mountain terrains of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Lack of Digital Devices – Children from such backgrounds are deprived of digital devices such as smartphones or computers. Even schools in these regions are not digitally aided. This poses a great barrier when it comes to E-learning in rural setting.
- Digital learning inaccessible - With the consecutive lockdowns imposed to contain Covid-19, it became clear that online studies would be the face of learning for the upcoming years. Unfortunately, many underprivileged children do not have access to digital learning opportunities.
- Quality of Rural Education is appalling – The quality of education in village schools is upsetting. Schools lack adequate infrastructure as well as competent teaching faculty. The academic curriculum is not revised for decades. In no way students availing rural education can match up to the competence level of those studying in urban schools. Also, no extra efforts are taken to enhance the existing structure. As a consequence, student dropout rates in rural regions are alarming.
- Disruption in Regular Schooling – Classes in conflict prone areas and remote regions with harsh climatic conditions, get disrupted due to terror activities or unpredictable weather. With schools closed for months at a stretch, classes remain discontinued.
- Lack of learning material, facilities and assistance – Study materials, books and other stationary items easily available to children in urban and mainstream areas are inaccessible to kids in these regions. Also children in urban areas are connected to mainstream learning avenues as they can easily avail coaching, tuitions and other learning facilities. These remain unapproachable for rural kids due to lack of money and resources.
Results & Outcome
- • KarmaKonnect completed donation of 36 classrooms to all Bhartiya Shiksha Mandir Schools in remote conflict prone areas.
- • Children in remote Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh regions are benefitting from these classrooms as school sessions begin.
- • The Digital Learning programme is helping the students understand their regular lessons and prepare them for examinations.
The digital lessons and activities are also enhancing their extra-curricular learning process.
- • Digital content streaming is connecting the students with mainstream education. At the same time, innovative lessons and audio visual content streamed through screens and projectors are ensuring larger participation and engagement of the students.
KarmaKonnect is a non-profit social venture that aims to connect the fragmented ‘giving’ ecosystem by empowering NGOs, donors, volunteers, corporates and government to create impactful social development interventions. KarmaKonnect is an enabler; motivating and empowering individuals and organizations to tap the growing philanthropy landscape by creating, connecting, and/or collaborating for credible projects and causes. The KarmaKonnect team is currently involved in a number of initiatives across the country, through various dedicated volunteers and NGOs. We are primarily working on:
• Child education and livelihood skills (slum evening schools/shelters and aiding low income govt schools) in Gujarat, Telangana, MP and Delhi through utilization of existing govt infrastructure and innovative collaborative models.
• Women Empowerment and legal help, rescue and rehabilitation projects (primarily on Gujarat and UP)
• Rural Empowerment and Citizens Change/Awareness programs (Gujarat, MP, UP, Telangana and Rajasthan).
• We also Executing comprehensive "adopt a village" projects for donors involving well researched sustainable solutions for development
• Training and placement of specially abled
• Refuge rehabilitation projects. (Urban slums)
• Adhoc Medical help and assistance as needed.
More projects in the same cause
KarmaKonnect | Delhi
KarmaKonnect | Sanand
KarmaKonnect | Ahmedabad
KarmaKonnect | Delhi